Hardware requirements for GRAFIS Version 10, 11 & 12
|Required hardware (*)||Advise for industrial use|
|PC with Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon;
min. 1 GHz
|typical business PC with Intel Pentium Core i5/i7 (2.8 GHz or faster)|
|(*)||16GB RAM or more|
|harddisk (min. 2GB free)(*)||SSD, 500GB disk space minimum|
|1 free USB port for connection of GRAFIS dongle||1 free USB port for connection of GRAFIS dongle|
|Graphics: no special requirements (standard graphics card or chipset graphics sufficient; minimum resolution 1024x768)||Graphics: no special requirements (standard graphics card or chipset graphics sufficient; minimum resolution 1024x768)|
|keyboard with 12 function keys, mouse||keyboard with 12 function keys, mouse|
|Windows 7/8.x/10||Windows 10|
|recommended: backup system (e.g. DVD-RW, blueray (BD), exchangeable or external drive, NAS)||backup solution with DVD-RW, blueray (BD), exchangeable disc or via network (NAS)|
|recommended: broadband internet connection (for updates and support)||broadband internet connection (for updates and support)|
|parallel and/or serial interfaces for connection of old plotters and digitizers (depends on configuration and demands)|
(*) the minimum requirements for CPU, graphics, memory and harddisk are widely the same as for Windows 7
Can you work with GRAFIS on a Macintosh?
If you are using a Macintosh with Intel CPU, it is possible to install Windows (via bootcamp) on which you can use GRAFIS. GRAFIS can be used without problems on a Windows system installed within a virtual machine (such as VMware or Parallels). The installation of GRAFIS in a Windows emulation (e.g. Wine) is not recommended, as GRAFIS would run very slowly and problems with dongle recognition occur frequently.
M1-Macs can be used with the help of beta versions of Windows 10 and the corresponding drivers for the dongle.
- Parallels must be installed on the M1-Mac (probably at least V16.5).
- in Parallels the preview version of Windows 10 for ARM CPUs must be installed (precursor of Windows 11 for ARM)
- on this Windows the beta version of the dongle drivers must be installed with the Command-Line-Installer
- the GRAFIS dongle must be a model of the last generation (driverless)
- Printer with Windows driver e.g. HP Laserjet or similar for printing text and miniature patterns
- A0 plotter or larger with rollmedia for fast direct output of patterns during pattern development (see also our plotter offers). From GRAFIS Version 6 upward, all plotter with existing Windows drivers are supported. If no driver is available, please check if the plotter is HPGL or DMPL compatible. If yes, it can be controlled like a HPG-GL plotter.
- If required: Digitizer with 16-button cursor and Wintab driver, e.g. 1,20m x 0,90m active area
An alternative option is ProfileFitPattern.
Additional notes for schools
- All PCs should be conneced via a local area network.
- use of an A4 printer for printing texts and scaled patterns via the network; one printer per room is sufficient if PCs are networked
- A0 ink jet plotter with paper roll and cutting facility for output of patterns in original size
- use of a projector with a minimum of 1024x768 resolution and high luminosity